Very slow writing to SATA disk

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Sat Oct 29 04:14:44 PDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 01:00:36AM +0200, S?ren Schmidt wrote:

> On 29/10/2005, at 0:41, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>
> >>Look in smartmontools I provided patches for that, its not rocket
> >>science you know...
> >>

> >This attitude -- on top of the API change itself -- is not really
> >encouraging
> >for ISVs, you know :-)
>
> Sigh, ataidle is a hack and the author had no intention to listen
> back when, so I dont feel teribly sorry about it you know. Spinning
> down disks needs to be done at the driver level so ATA knows what
> state the disk is in etc...

I'm the author of ataidle.  I know it is a hack, and I agree that
power management should be done at the driver level.  However, I have
released what worked for me in the hope that other people find it useful
- but yes, there is always the possibility that data will be lost, since
  it does bypass the driver.

Unfortunately I've been very busy recently and so have until
now been unable to look at FreeBSD 6.0 and the new ATA driver.
I have however updated ataidle to cope with the
new API and it can be downloaded from
http://www.cran.org.uk/bruce/software/ataidle-0.9.tar.gz .

--
Bruce Cran