Very slow writing to SATA disk

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Oct 28 13:48:20 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-Oct-28 12:45:27 -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>No, just checked -- the hw.ata.wc is set to 1. Is there anything else to look
>at?

That exhausts my ideas, sorry.  Sören might be able to suggest something.

>> >According to smartctl, the drive runs at 56C during the copying. Its
>> >idle temperature seems to be 54C.
>It sure feels hot to the touch, but nothing is burning,

A rule-of-thumb is that you can hold your finger on something for 4
seconds then it is 45°C (or less).

>this model's 'Ambient Temperature' spec is 5 to 55C...

It's unlikely to affect I/O performance (though it may increase the
number of thermal re-calibrations) but it will definitely shorten the
drive life.

--
Peter Jeremy