[Fwd: Re: use of bus_dmamap_sync]

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Wed Oct 26 09:12:40 PDT 2005

On 10/26/05 23:54 Scott Long said the following:
> The value of the map is an implementation detail, which is why it's an
> opaque typedef.  Portable code should always assume that the map has
> valid data.  Now, specifically for i386, if you have a device with a

right, so for portability's sake, bus_dmamap_sync should be used anyway.

> twe), and you are not using PAE, then yes the map will be NULL and the
> syncs will do nothing.  Assuming that all three of these cases are false
> is not good, though.

well, they are in my situation, so obviously bus dma is not the cause of
the problem i'm seeing.

thanx to both scottl and jhb for the explanation. this throws a lot of
light onto the handling of dma access to devices for me.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/