How disable attachment of sio(4) driver to device?

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri Oct 21 23:31:41 PDT 2005

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 06:09, Bernd Walter wrote:
> I personally build specialized USB and Ethernet devices for doing
> Modbus/RTU RS485 timing.

We use 9 bit data RS485 (the ninth bit is used as an address mark so
microcontrollers can sleep until it turns up then check if it's addressed to
it and go back to sleep).

I have been told it could be implemented as a line discipline but I am not so
sure (since to do 9 bit transmition you need to change between mark & space
parity on a byte by byte basis)

We (well msmith originally) implemented it as a cut down hacked up copy of sio
- this IS suboptimial so I think I'll have a look at implementing it via
uart.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum