systems password's file

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Sat Oct 15 07:03:51 PDT 2005

> From: "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net>
> Subject: Re: Re: system password's file

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 06:54:26AM -0500 I heard the voice of
> Sergey Babkin, and lo! it spake thus:

> > I don't know if it's fixed now or not.

> I just converted a Mandrake box a month or so ago, which used MD5
> hashes.  Worked flawlessly.

> > Hm, considering the we'd like people to migrate from Linux to
> > FreeBSD, having such a conversion script/program (especially if
> > someone writes it for their own use anyway) in the base system would
> > make a lot of sense.

> It's not that hard.  Somebody mentioned an awk script.  I slapped it
> together in perl in about 5 minutes.  I'll bet it's in /tmp
> somewhere...

I've done this a couple of time - but both times I just did it
manually - with the tools in the OS - as this was the quickest.

One was from an SGI IRIX, the other was from SunOS.  The latter
had a really slow sendmail system on a very old box.

The move to a FreeBSD was not planned that far in advance
and not planned for - but the Sun had gotten so slow they moved to
getting their mail directly from their ISP.

It was about a 10 minute job [max] using  cut(1) and paste(1).
Since I'd started with Unix before pool and on limited systems,
those tools came to mind naturally.

Both the SGI and SunOS conversions worked flawlessly.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com