system password's file

Freddie Cash fcash at ocis.net
Fri Oct 14 08:51:31 PDT 2005

On October 13, 2005 09:29 pm, Jayesh Jayan wrote:
> I would suggest you to try the below and make sure this works

> 1 ) Install a new freebsd server
> 2 ) create a user on your linux machine say with username freebsd and
> some password
> 3 ) now copy the data in your /etc/passwd file of linux machine to
> freebsd machine
> 4 ) Also copy the /etc/shadow file to freebsd server and renmae it as
> /etc/master.passwd

Don't do this, you'll kill all the accounts on your system.

> 5 ) Also copy /etc/groups
> 6 ) Now try to login to freebsd machine with the new user created on
> the linux machine.

If you search the OpenBSD FAQ, you'll find the correct process to take
to convert Linux users to BSD users.  It's a very quick awk script, and
it works quite nicely.  I used it to convert 500 users on a RedHat 6.2
system to a FreeBSD 5.3 system without any hiccups.

--
Freddie Cash
fcash at ocis.net