system password's file

Jayesh Jayan jayesh.freebsdlist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 21:30:01 PDT 2005

Hi,

I would suggest you to try the below and make sure this works

1 ) Install a new freebsd server
2 ) create a user on your linux machine say with username freebsd and some
password
3 ) now copy the data in your /etc/passwd file of linux machine to freebsd
machine
4 ) Also copy the /etc/shadow file to freebsd server and renmae it as
/etc/master.passwd
5 ) Also copy /etc/groups
6 ) Now try to login to freebsd machine with the new user created on the
linux machine.

Note : Please create a copy of the original file on freebsd machine before
you change the real file

If the test is successful. I suppose you can migrate from linux to freebsd
with all the users and their passwords.

Also while coping the file make sure that the default enteries are there.
That just transfer the user details and not the system user details