Bonsai-style interface (cvs change history) for FreeBSD CVS?

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Mon Oct 10 12:41:21 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-Oct-10 15:15:18 +1000, Antony Mawer wrote:
>I thought this might be the most appropriate place to raise this - I was
>wondering whether or not there was any chance of a Bonsai
>(http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonsai/) interface to the FreeBSD CVS
>repository.

The first step would be a port of bonsai to FreeBSD.  One major
obstacle to its use would be the following comment:
"Performance - Bonsai can be, under the right circumstances,
 egregiously slow. In scenarios like Mozilla.org, which have a lot of
 checkins and a lot of code, the right conditions can happen a
 lot. Even worse, the things that make Bonsai go slow will also cause
 your server load to go sky high and make everything else go slow."

The FreeBSD codebase is more than an order of magnitude larger than
Mozilla and I suspect there are significantly more developers and
commits.  The above comment suggests it would be unusably slow.

> I was going to have a look at doing this locally and trying
>to hook it into CVSup

It might be easier to hook it into a local CVS repository and
the cvs-all mailing list.

--
Peter Jeremy