hosts.allow

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sat Oct 8 12:53:58 PDT 2005

I shouldn't write this while I'm frustrated.  I just hope it doesn't
leak out, I know I tend to do that.

I'm having trouble getting my mounts to work with my newly attached
Zaurus, to my trusty FreeBSD server.  I have gotten past several
problems, began googling error messages, and hit the /etc/hosts.allow
file.  Here I've hit a problem.  The file, both the internals of it
(which is a mass of examples with nearly no explanations) and the man
page, are either circular definitions, or missing ones, grossly
missing.  One glaring example, in the man page, the single most commonly
used token is "ALL" but even though it's used more than any other token,
it's not defined, even slightly.  What does ALL mean?

Hmm, howcome security info, which is the most important, is always the
worst documented, and set up with the most complicated syntax?

If you MUST use examples, they should only be used to illustrate items
that have explanations, they should never ever be used as the primary
explanation.  I can't figure out how to use /etc/hosts.allow.  I'm not
sure if it is, or is not, affecting my rpcbind.

Well, you be the judge, did I let my frustration out of the bag this time?