problems with disk geometry

Kamal R. Prasad kamalp at acm.org
Thu Oct 6 08:52:42 PDT 2005

hello,

  Im trying to install FreeBSD 6.0 beta5 on a samsung SP1604N hard
disk of about 160 GB.
The installer complains that it has a problem with the disk geometry.
The exact message is given below:-
A geometry of 310101/16/63 is incorrect for ad1. Using a more likely
geometry. If this geometry is incorrect.. pl. consult the hardware guide
fdisk goes through the process of creating the reqd slices and when I
try to commit the new partition table -it says it cannot write to /
dev/ad1.

Can someone tell me how to get past this problem?

thanks
-kamal

Kamal R. Prasad
UNIX systems consultant