watching a file for ownership change

Charles Sprickman spork at fasttrackmonkey.com
Sun May 22 02:38:38 GMT 2005

Hi,

I've run into a brick wall on this one, so I thought perhaps someone might
point me in a new direction.

I have a mailserver that uses Maildir++, which means there's built-in
(non-system) quotas.  The one problem that I'm having is that the file
that stores the current quota information ($HOME/Maildir/maildirsize)
occasionally gets flipped from the virtual user being the owner to root.

This is odd since I've not yet found anything that runs as root or runs
setuid.  There are two delivery agents, maildrop and vdelivermail.
Neither is setuid, and neither should ever be called by root.  Qmail is
the MTA.  Additionally, courier-imap and courier-popd work on that file
when messages are moved/deleted.  These do start as root, but should run
as the virtual user like so:

vpopmail 92091  0.0  0.1   944  592  ??  I    Fri04AM   0:00.32
/usr/local/bin/pop3d Maildir

vpopmail 18142  0.0  0.1  2416 1492  ??  I    10:34PM   0:00.04
/usr/local/bin/imapd Maildir

Both the courier mailing list and the vpopmail mailing list devs agree
that it must be the other piece of software's fault. :)

I'd like to find a way to watch one of the user's maildirsize files that
seems to flip ownerships at least once a day and try to determine what
process is changing the ownership.

How can I do that without dropping a bunch of daemons on a production
machine into heavy-debug mode?  OS is 4.8 with all current patches.

Thanks,

Charles