kgdb doesn't seem to work, says "Cannot read PTD"

Aurel Bodenmann aurelbodenmann at gmx.ch
Sat May 21 16:02:31 GMT 2005

On May 20, 2005, at 18:31, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

>>     . Anyway, I wanted to locate the problem and do something about
>> it (aka submit an useful coredump to this list :-) but unfortunately
>> neither gdb nor kgdb seem to work for me.
>>

> Well, thank you for trying!  In the meantime, could you post the panic
> message and backtrace, or at least the contents of /var/crash/info.1?

Unfortunately I haven't written down the panic message (I thought that I
could retrieve it using gdb when the sever crashed), so unfortunately the
only thing useful I have right now is /var/crash/info.1:

# cat info.1
Dump header from device /dev/ar0s1b
  Architecture: i386
  Architecture Version: 16777216
  Dump Length: 804519936B (767 MB)
  Blocksize: 512
  Dumptime: Thu May 19 12:11:37 2005
  Hostname: DrSweety-Server.Dr.Sweety.Lan
  Magic: FreeBSD Kernel Dump
  Version String: FreeBSD 5.4-RC4 #3: Sat May  7 10:09:11 CEST 2005
    root at DrSweety-Server.Dr.Sweety.Lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DrSweety-
Kernel
  Panic String: from debugger
  Dump Parity: 458902623
  Bounds: 1
  Dump Status: good

Of course there is also vmcore.1 but this file is huge and I don't really
want to post it somewhere available to the public as it might contain
sensitive information. In case somebody might be interested in, I've put
the output from dmesg, pciconf -l -v and the current Kernelconfig here:

htt://drsweety.homeip.net/freebsd_hackers/

Ys, Aurel Bodenmann