Panic when removing Airprime PC5220 card (usb hub).

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Wed May 11 07:26:27 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 09:59, David Andersen wrote:
> I'm hacking up a quick and dirty driver for the AirPrime PC5220 (EVDO /
> 1xRTT) card, but I'm encountering a crash unrelated to my driver.  The
> card is a pc card that presents itself as a USB hub with one device
> hanging off of it.  Removing the card from the system causes a kernel
> panic.  The backtrace looks something like:
>
> kobj_delete+0xb
> device_delete_child + 0x98
> usb_disconnect_port + 0xf3
> uhub_detach + 0x7a
> device_detach + 0x57
> device_delete_child + 0x2b
> device_delete_child + 0x17
> ohci_pci_detach + 0x85
> device_detach + 0x57
> cardbus_detach_card + 0x93
> cbb_removal + 0x6f
> cbb_event_thread + 0xb6
> fork_exit + 0x74
> fork_trampoline() + 0x8
> trap 0x1 eip = 0 esp = 0xedf66d6c
>
> (sorry for the poor formatting;  I don't have serial debug support at
> the moment to copy-paste. :)

I think that the existing USB driver does not allow USB-controllers to be
detached. At least the root-hub does not allow this. And when they try to
detach, the devices are deleted twice (which is due to the fact that the code
was ported from NetBSD, which bus interface is a little different).

But I've got a USB driver that might fix that, if you want to try that:

Download the three files below into a new directory and type
"make install"  (to uninstall type "make deinstall")
http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/Makefile
http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/new_usb_1_5_4.diff.bz2
http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/new_usb_1_5_4.tar.bz2

You need FreeBSD-5/6 to get it compiled.

Yours
--HPS