ffs snapshots

Divacky Roman xdivac02 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Tue May 10 06:30:50 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 09:43:02AM -0600, Siddharth Aggarwal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering why the limit for file system snapshots in BSD 5 has been
> set to 20. Is it a limitation due to the way this feature has been
> implemented?

use the force, read the source ;)

/*
 * The maximum number of snapshot nodes that can be associated
 * with each filesystem. This limit affects only the number of
 * snapshot files that can be recorded within the superblock so
 * that they can be found when the filesystem is mounted. However,
 * maintaining too many will slow the filesystem performance, so
 * having this limit is a good idea.
 */
#define FSMAXSNAP 20