5.4-STABLE corrupting fs on shutdown -p now?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 2 06:42:17 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005, c0ldbyte wrote:

>> I have a "HDD Post Write Buffer" in the BIOS according to the MB manual
>> although the disks aren't connected to the MB controllers they are on RAID
>> 5 set off a PCI-X card. Will give it a go tomorrow ( drag the monitor
>> back to the rack ). Will this have any performance penalties? I could
>> just avoid using shutdown -p but it seems a bit dodgy what its doing.
>> If this machine where miles away without remote console it would have
>> caused major amounts of pain.
>
> Why would you use shutdown -p on a remote machine anyway. I could see
> possibly a shutdown -r but -p come on.

I use it regularly -- for remote boxes that are in someone else's
facility, I'd much rather I was the one who powered them off and told them
when they were ready to unplug than having them do it.  Life is a bit
better with the advent of soft power via case power buttons, but still...

Robert N M Watson