5.4-STABLE corrupting fs on shutdown -p now?

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Sun May 1 21:09:25 PDT 2005

Kris Kennaway wrote::
>> Surely thats what the buffer sync is doing. Watching the console both
>> these actions appear to be doing identical things but the end results
>> are quite different :( buffers are always under 5 usually 2 and its not
>> like there's been a great deal of activity. The last test I did was just a
>> boot, login, shutdown ( result was / not clean but all the others ok ).
>
> Modern IDE drives sometimes lie about having finished writing out the
> data, when in fact it's still only in cache.  You should be able to
> disable this behaviour to test (try the BIOS).

I have a "HDD Post Write Buffer" in the BIOS according to the MB manual
although the disks aren't connected to the MB controllers they are on
RAID 5 set off a PCI-X card. Will give it a go tomorrow ( drag the monitor
back to the rack ). Will this have any performance penalties? I could
just avoid using shutdown -p but it seems a bit dodgy what its doing.
If this machine where miles away without remote console it would have
caused major amounts of pain.

    Steve