FreeBSD 5.3R SMP Kernel not detecting 2nd CPU in a HP DL360(?)

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at Alameda.net
Mon Mar 28 15:12:26 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 03:02:02AM +0400, Rojer wrote:
> Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> >
> >I have a DL380 g3 with dual P4-3.2GHz 1MB L3 cache, the kern conf has
> >just "options SMP" to make it work. Here is the top part and bottom part
> >of dmesg from boot:
>

> >SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!

> >kern.smp.active: 1
> >kern.smp.disabled: 0
> >kern.smp.cpus: 2
>
> you should see 4 cpus "launching", assuming you haven't disabled
> hyperthreading.
>
> in fact, i have seen similar situation myself.
> FreeBSD would not recognize second physical CPU with hyperthreading enabled.
> it'd launch cpu #1 but not cpus 2 and 3.
> after eventually noticing it, i tried disabling hyperthreading in BIOS -
> it worked fine. i still had 2 cpus, but this time 2 physical cpus,
> and lower cpu load figures confirmed that those 2 "previous" cpus were in
> fact
> one physical + 1 hyperdreaded :)
> and this is not a problem of the particular server, i actually tried
> replacing
> the platform (moved hdds to the same box nearby) and it behaved in exactly
> the same manner.
> the platform is Fujitsu RX200 (2 x 2.8 Xeon), OS is FreeBSD 4.11-PRERELEASE.
>
> i still kinda have a box to play with (can bring it down to test during
> weekend),
> so if someone can offer insight, i can provide more info and maybe even a
> short-term
> remote ssh/serial console access.

I at least have HyperThreading turned off. So seeing 2 cpus is correctly:

evil ulf /home/ulf > sysctl -a | grep cpu
kern.threads.virtual_cpu: 2
kern.sched.ipiwakeup.onecpu: 0
kern.ccpu: 1948
kern.smp.maxcpus: 16