5-STABLE kernel build with icc broken

Attila Nagy bra at fsn.hu
Sun Mar 27 12:43:43 PST 2005

c0ldbyte wrote:
> If any, still produces not all that much of a difference of code between
> the newer gcc34 and as much performance differance as your going to get
> isnt going to even be noticeable in the long run. Your just setting your
> self up for failure with something that isnt really going to give you
> the desired effects.
You don't have to use it, but it is good if you *can*. I guess besides
that having a cleaner code base which compiles not only with exactly one
compiler it is always good to have the ability to try something else out.

BTW, on my humble Pentium II server I noticed significant speedups,
compared to the system compiler. But that's purely empirical.

--
Attila Nagy                                   e-mail: Attila.Nagy at fsn.hu
Free Software Network (FSN.HU)           phone @work: +361 371 3536