relation between PQ_CACHESIZE and PQ_L2_SIZE

Igor Shmukler shmukler at mail.ru
Sat Mar 26 19:08:36 PST 2005

> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-hackers/2003-June/001655.html
>    But what puzzled me is : why not page size is  a
> factor when calculating the number of colors?

Page coloring in freebsd was implemented by John Dyson. It is needed to better utilize the
cache. Depending on cache's implementation fully-associative vs. 4-way vs 2-way etc you might
have problems.

A subset of bits (low-bits) from the page frame's (physical) address tells us where can data be
stored in processor cache. We want a relatively equal distribution of these "colors" so that we
utilize as much of cache real estate as possible. Hence, we are interested in the size of a
set, not size of a page.

I am sure, there are whole bunch of articles written about this. I could give you some pointers
offline.

Igor.