Kernel documentation and specification

Kamal R. Prasad kamalpr at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 05:08:33 PST 2005

I have been trying to find a way to load powerpc GPRs
into my C variables (using __asm__)[inside the
kernel], and if someone can give me a clue/point to
code that would be great.
The gnu documentation on _asm__ usage seems a bit too
short.

thanks
-kamal

--- Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com> wrote:
[snip]

> > Some questions for instance are the use of sse,
> mmx, and fpu register
> > and commands inside the kernel.
>
> To answer this particular question, I don't believe
> any floating-point
> is allowed in the kernel, due to the extra time it
> would take to save
> and restore the registers on every context switch
> (and kernel thread
> switch even), and the difficulty of trapping
> exceptions.
>
> --
> 	Dan Nelson
> 	dnelson at allantgroup.com

Kamal R. Prasad
UNIX systems consultant
kamalp at acm.org

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is:-).