IP over FireWire and Mac OSX

P.ArulChandran parcn at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 18:50:17 PST 2005

 By analyzing the packets from FreeBSD in firebug log, I could see that
unfragmented packets are sent as fragmented packets, with inappropriate
values in the packet header. Even if the packets are fragmented, the
'lf' field is not set correctly. To comply with Section 4.2 of RFC
2734, FreeBSD should set 'lf' to correct values to indicate, whether
the packet is fragmented or unfragmented.
  In any case, Mac OS X should add more saftey checks to prevent panics
from corrupted packets.

-Arul

<mailinglist>
I have a FreeBSD 5.3 i386 machine I installed today, then ran cvsup
with tag=RELENG_5_3.
then I rebuilt my kernel with these options in:

# FireWire support
device          firewire
device          sbp
device          fwe
device          fwip
options         DEVICE_POLLING

I plugged this machine into my Powermac G4 running OS X 10.3.8, and I
assigned IP addresses to the firewire devices on both, so they look
like this:

the mac:

fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 4078
        inet6 fe80::20a:95ff:fe69:b7d2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
        lladdr 00:0a:95:ff:fe:69:b7:d2
        media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: active
        supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>

the FreeBSD box:

fwip0: flags=108843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr 0.30.3c.0.0.9.a0.33.a.2.ff.fe.0.0.0.0

Now, pinging one machine from the other seems to work fine.  but as
soon as I try traceroute or ssh (originating from either side) my mac
crashes with the nice screen telling me to hold down the power button.

the dmesg output I'll post below, with the messages it produces when
my mac crashes and comes back up again.  anyone had any luck getting
this working?  is there something I'm missing?  any suggestions would
be appreciated.
</mailinglist>