Kernel documentation and specification

klowd9 - klowd92 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 22:53:44 PST 2005

>From: Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net>
>To: klowd9 - <klowd92 at hotmail.com>
>CC: freebsd-hackers at FreeBSD.org
>Subject: Re: Kernel documentation and specification
>Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:14:54 +1000
>
>On 2005-03-24, klowd9 - wrote:
>
> >> Reading the CVS logs for the relevant files should give you ideas
> >> about who might be able to answer your questions.  However, you
> >> shouldn't expect that people have time to answer lots of questions.
> >> Of course, it helps if your interest is in the context of contributing
> >> something back to the project.
> >>
> >> Kirk's book, ``The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD
> >> Operating System'' probably contains the answers to basic
> >> questions about scheduling and IPC.
> >
> > I considered purchasing that book, which is very very good imo, but a
>bit
> > overpriced at $60..
>
>If you're not prepared to invest that small amount in your
>learning, then you're not serious about it.
>
> > Any other resources about kernel development, and to whom may i speak
>with
> > to help me get started..
>
>You don't need to speak -- as has already been pointed out, you
>need to read.  Read the source code and the CVS logs; read the
>book; experiment a bit.  Then, when you have a handle on things,
>maybe you might have some real questions to ask.
>
>Greg

First of all i am dead serious about learning.
Secondly, where i come from, $60 is alot of money. And in the spirit of open
source and free software, charging $60 for a book is ridiculous. I want to
code free software and contribute to the open source community, must i be
prepared to pay inorder to contribute? Why isnt a free copy of this book
available online? The author obviously put alot of time and effort into
making this excellent book, but so do thousands of other people writing code
and papers every day, published freely on the internet, and they ask for
nothing in return, besides perhaps, some gratitude

Furthermore, you cannot speak with a book, and ask it questions, why some
things happen a certain way. A good book will do its best to clerify
everything, but it doesnt even come close to what an experienced person can
help you understand in half that time.

Your email contained absolutely no useful information or help, besides a bit
condescending on your behalf. Thanks for wasting my time.

And lastly, if i did have some 'real questions', im afraid you wouldnt be
able to answer them.