Kernel documentation and specification

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Wed Mar 23 18:00:50 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005, klowd9 - wrote:
> Where can i find resources about the freebsd kernel?
> I read over the developers handbook, and the architecture handbook, and
> both provide very little information i need.
> Also if anyone can recommend irc channels to visit where developers are to
> be found.
> I visited #BsdCode of efnet, but it was keyed not too long ago.
>
> Some questions for instance are the use of sse, mmx, and fpu register and
> commands inside the kernel. How is the development organized. Is it just a
> jungle where people choose what they want to improve and expand in the
> kernel and then submit their code?
> What type of process scheduling the freebsd uses, interprocess
> communication and more..

Reading the CVS logs for the relevant files should give you ideas
about who might be able to answer your questions.  However, you
shouldn't expect that people have time to answer lots of questions.
Of course, it helps if your interest is in the context of contributing
something back to the project.

Kirk's book, ``The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD
Operating System'' probably contains the answers to basic
questions about scheduling and IPC.