Freebsd 5.3 hangs under heavy load????

Rojer myself at rojer.pp.ru
Tue Mar 15 16:27:58 PST 2005

Amandeep Pannu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have two Seagate SCSI drives 36GB and 8GB RAM and installed 5.3-REL with
> PAE and SMP support.
> Now the problem arises that the system hangs under heavy load and there
> are no error messages nothing. I have to hard boot it everytime it hangs.

PAE must have something to do with this.
i have similar reports from fellow admins (they run large free mail service):
machines with lots (4+ gigs) of memory, 5.3R, SMP and PAE enabled just refused to cooperate,
freezing and crashing all the way under load.
sadly, having no time to dive into gory details,
they just installed Linux on those and all has been going well since that...
the point is: PAE and large memory configurations in general need more testing.

--
Deomid Ryabkov aka Rojer
myself at rojer.pp.ru
rojer at sysadmins.ru