stf and shoebox NAT routers

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Fri Mar 11 11:16:38 PST 2005

Historically, I've used FreeBSD machines as NAT routers.

Call me a traitor if you must, but it's getting harder to justify not
simply putting one of those little Linksys/Netgear/SMC/whatever NAT
routers in place and having the FreeBSD machine be a server behind the
box instead.

One of the last considerations remaining is IPv6.

Most boxes now have the concept of a "DMZ" host. They will, aparently,
perform simple address substitution on the IP header for packets that
arrive of an unknown protocol and send them to the DMZ host (living on
the inside LAN - thus calling it a DMZ host is a bit of a misnomer, but
that's a semantic debate for another occasion). This would be ideal for
6to4 - incoming packets would simply arrive and be processed. The
trouble appears to be the outgoing side. The machine's actual IPv4
address is not the same as the *outside* IPv4 address, so one of two
things is happening (I'm not sure which): Either the blanket prohibition
on RFC-1918 addresses having anything to do with 6to4 is getting in the
way, or stf0 having a "foreign" prefix (that is, a prefix that does not
relate to a physical interface on the machine) is confusing it.

6to4 is the IPv6 connection solution I prefer. Is there any way stf can
be taught to live behind an IPv4 NAT?