FUD about CGD and GBDE

Thor Lancelot Simon tls at rek.tjls.com
Thu Mar 3 21:51:15 GMT 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:45:34PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Since the attacker know the block number the IV generation doesn't
> add strength.
>
> In fact expose any weakness in the algorithm even more because it
> offers two-way leverage on the algorithm.
>
> It also adds a very efficient hit-detector for a brute force attack.
>
> It would have been much better to use a different key to generate the IV.
>
> And did he salt the block number at all ?  I don't think so...

I think there's a misunderstanding here.  Why do you think secrecy
(unpredictability?) is an important property of an IV for a block
cipher used in CBC mode?  It's not an encryption key, it's an IV.
It just has to have a large Hamming difference from any _other_ IV
used with the same cipher key.

 Thor Lancelot Simon	                                      tls at rek.tjls.com

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky