FUD about CGD and GBDE

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Mar 3 17:51:19 GMT 2005

In message <200503022115.j22LFnWk083926 at marlena.vvi.at>, "ALeine" writes:
>phk at phk.freebsd.dk wrote:
>
>> I gave up on journalling myself because IMO it complicates
>> things a lot and the problem it solves is very very small.
>
>If only hardware manufacturers were to equip hard drives with
>a mechanism to ensure atomic writes.

I would prefer "If only some bloddy laywer would stop suing
any person who tries to market a NVRAM PCI card" :-(

>Journaling would definitely cause more seeks, but the question
>is how well that can be compensated for by the reduction of
>writes gained from using the other speedup mechanisms I proposed.
>I might try implementing this in GBDE first to see what the
>benchmarks say.

I can not encourage you enough to try it.

Don't let peole like Thor scare you away, progress happens when people
try to follow their ideas, even if told that they are fools by people
who (think they) know better.