retricted environment

c0ldbyte c0ldbyte at myrealbox.com
Wed Mar 2 18:46:41 GMT 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Matt wrote:

> When providing a shell environment for a larger number of users, what is the
> best way to retrict access to commands/resources?  I've already setup quotas.
> I don't want users playing with system commands.  I've read something about a
> retricted shell, but can't find any details.

Sorry if this is a little too late but your best bets are of
(chmod,chown,chflags) also in (/etc/login.conf). Besides that
it doesnt matter in a normal environment if a reg'd user messes
with system commands, they wont beable to change anything with the
system anyway and even if you didnt resitrict the commands that
they can execute they just might report to syslog that the $UID
was trying to use them and give you a heads up on trying to keep
track of the user at hand.

Best of luck: for more great info on FreeBSD and its options
check out freebsd.org/handbook /faq and
http://draenor.org/securebsd/secure.txt

Best of luck
 	--c0ldbyte

       This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender
does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use
or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an
intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error,
please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.