Remote kernel debugging using GDB

Leubner, Achim Achim_Leubner at adaptec.com
Wed Mar 2 15:05:58 GMT 2005

Hello all,

I want to do some remote kernel debugging using GDB on FreeBSD 5.3.

I connected host and target with a null-modem cable on COM1 and made a debug kernel with "options GDB", "options DDB", "options KDB" and "makeoptions  DEBUG=-g" and I set the port flags of sio0 to 0x80.

But if I start the debug kernel on the target machine with "boot -d" I always get the message "GDB: no debug ports present" and if I want to start GDB I get "The remote GDB backend could not be selected". In "debug.kdb.available" I only see the ddb and "sysctl -w debug.kdb.current=gdb" fails.

Does anybody know what´s going wrong here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Achim Leubner

ICP vortex GmbH / Adaptec Inc.

Phone: +49-351-8718291