Help about debugging FreeBSD kernel core dump file

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 1 03:47:57 GMT 2005

Single line message.

On Tuesday,  1 March 2005 at 11:41:08 +0800, River wrote:
> Hi, Everyone:
>
> How can I debug the core dump file created by kernel panic? I try to
> use "gdb -core vmcore.0" (vmcore.0 is 4G file because I have 4G
> memory) and the gdb said: this is not a vaild core file. Why?

Processor dumps have a different format for core dumps.  Depending on
the version of FreeBSD, you use one of these forms:

(older)    gdb -k kernel.debug vmcore.0
(newer)    kgdb kernel.debug vmcore.0

You'll need a kernel compiled with debug symbols to make much sense of
the dump.  See
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Papers/Debug-tutorial/tutorial.pdf for more
details.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.