GmailFS

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 27 09:41:50 GMT 2005

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:

>> hello guys
>> can not the FUSE http://fuse.sourceforge.net ported to freebsd ?
>> it would be nice to test the gmail fs on freebsd
>> http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html
>
> AFAIK, this is not available with FreeBSD.  There is no user level
> filesystem support.  However, NetBSD announced [1] that one of their
> project for Google Summer of Code is to implement userspace file system
> hooks.  This may be ported on FreeBSD one day.

Arla's XFS code actually does quite a good job of providing a userlevel
file system framework on FreeBSD, and the Coda kernel module also lets you
implement userlevel file systems.  I have a slight preference for the Arla
XFS implementation as it's more general-purpose.  I've previously used
Arla's framework to write part of a user level tertiary file system
implementation.

Robert N M Watson