Google SoC idea

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Jun 7 20:16:54 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 09:40:05PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> +> Does it make sense to do it this way? Is it worth applying for the SoC?
>
> Not sure. Basically this is simlar what softupdate does, I think.
> From another point of view softupdates are only available for UFS.
> You probably wants to hear scottl and phk opinions (CCed).

I think that Ivan's idea is kind of different from softupdates. His
idea is pretty clever, in that it could provide synchronus random
writes at sequential write speeds for any filesystem, providing you
repaly the journal at startup.

However, our main problem these days is the fact that we do an fsck
after every unclean reboot, not the speed of writes. I guess that
you could skip the fsck (or run it very slowly in the background)
if you knew the filesystem was clean 'cos of jounral replay.

	David.