Remove Heimdal Kerberos from my FreeBSD

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 18 15:09:14 GMT 2005

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Vladimir Terziev wrote:

>   The problem is that third party software is a part of basic software,
> which functionality includes authentication and authorization for host
> access. A bug in this third party software could become a reason for a
> host compromise even the functionality of the third party software in
> not used (e.g. bug in the kerberos libs could involve sshd/telnetd
> compromise).
>
>   When you really need a kerberos authentication then re-build the
> respective software in order to have it. But in that case, you'll be
> aware that your access-granting software depends on something other and
> you'll be aware to keep this something other up-to-date and bugless.

Expectations have changed over the last few years -- support for
integrating into directory services, such as Active Directory and/or
Kerberos, is now considered a basic expectation for operating systems, and
as such is a "built by default" feature.

Any time you increase the quantity of code, especially
security/network-sensitive code, you increase the opportunity for
problems, but where one sits on the spectrum of "enabled by default"
functionality has to be a response to user requirements. The direction
we've been going in to minimize exposure has been to disable features at
run-time, rather than compile-time.  I.e., we no longer enable telnetd,
ftpd, etc, by default -- they must be explicitly enabled.

Robert N M Watson