ICH6R RAID

Gayn Winters gayn.winters at mail.bristolsystems.com
Fri Jul 1 22:47:38 GMT 2005

Hi!

Thanks for the info.

Thus to get ICH6R supported on 5.4 I need to load 5.4R onto one drive,
apply the mk3 patch, recompile, reboot, build a release bootable CD,
shutdown, reset the hardware to RAID1, and reload from the new CD.  This
ought to work like it does using 6.0-CURRENT-SNAP004 (which I am now
happy with).  The suggestion below to avoid sysinstall and craft the
array by hand doesn't seem to use the hardware RAID1 supported by ICH6R.

1.  How exactly do I know when a patch (mk3 in this case) is in a
release?
2.  If the above strategy makes sense, how can I get the latest mk3 for
5.4?
3.  If I'm missing something, e.g. around sysinstall, what am I missing?
(Sakurada-san suggested using atacontrol create..   to build ar0 with a
degraded array (that I got to work), but if the above strategy works, I
think this won't be necessary, unless again I'm missing something!
4.  I'm leaning towards just using software RAID (gmirror) for this
system, which must be a production system when it is up. Both 5.4 and
6.0 look hopeless for different reasons. Thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help!

-gayn