Nagios and threads

Michal Mertl mime at traveller.cz
Fri Jul 1 20:25:53 GMT 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, I wrote:
> Daniel Eischen wrote:

> > > Yes, the description on Nagios page is not precise but unfortunately
> > > Nagios still has some problems even on 5.4. I wasn't able to find out
> > > what was wrong and the problem dissappeared when I had to replace the
> > > computer with single-processor one. The symptoms I observed were that
> > > every several days one Nagios process was consuming all the CPU doing
> > > hundreds of thousands of syscalls per second. It got always stuck around
> > > the time when the the daily cron job run.
> > >
> > > I did a ktrace on the stuck process and tried to abort it to have the
> > > core but I've lost the ktrace output and it never saved the core :-(.
> > >
> > > I'll install it on another machine and try to diagnose the problem some
> > > more.
> >
> > You gotta try it on -stable.
>
> OK. I installed Nagios on a SMP computer with fresh -stable. I tried to
> stress the disk but until now Nagios hasn't hung.
>
> Michal

Just FYI - I really wasn't able to provoke the hang. I've no idea if the
reason is my upgrade to STABLE or something else. I can only confirm
what went on this thread - Nagios seems to have lots of short lived
children (for the tests) which are probably created with fork and the
main process is multithreaded.

Michal