iTunes like features ?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 29 10:19:11 PST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Julio Capote wrote:

> If you have a reasonably fast machine, this shouldnt be a problem; the
> 5.x branch can preempt that much thus far. Hence, youll never hear my
> music stop (1.6ghz athlon-xp, 512ram), even under the most extreme
> conditions (compiling, multiple programs opened on several workspaces),
> only time I hear it skip, is when im extracting a large bz2 archive, but
> I believe thats mostly due to the synchronous nature of the file
> system...just my 2 cents.

It would be quite interesting to know if audio skipping is improved
perceptibly with the SMP VFS work that Jeff Roberson has been doing.  This
work is in 6.x-CURRENT, and requireds debug.mpsafevfs to be turned on in
the loader (and comes with risks, it's experimental) -- however, that
would allow the sound card interrupt handlers to more quickly preempt
under cpu load.

Robert N M Watson