Boot fails: Default F1? hangs. Trashed MBR? replaced FBSD mbr.

Chris Shenton chris at shenton.org
Fri Jan 28 19:01:45 PST 2005

Chris Shenton <chris at shenton.org> writes:

> So I booted from floppies, went to Wizard mode, did the Install
> FreeBSD Bootmanager. Rebooted. Now it halts at the prompt "Default:
> F1" and beeps when I hit any key, like RETURN, F1, etc.

Forgot to mention...

When I was installing the FreeBSD MBR from floppy, I don't recall the
sysinstall program showing me any partitions, at all.  Perhaps I've
wiped out the info on disk that says where they are and what size.
Again, I'm getting way outside my understanding of FreeBSD's boot
process, but figured this might be rather significant. I'm getting a
bad feeling about this.

Thanks again.