Resuming from a crashdump

ctodd at chrismiller.com ctodd at chrismiller.com
Mon Jan 24 11:54:29 PST 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Christian Laursen wrote:

> The idea would be to force the system to "crash" and make a
> dump on a dedicated partition. On boot after initializing devices
> but before mounting /, the kernel would check that partition and
> if it found a dump there restore it to the machine's memory,
> reinitialize devices and continue where it left off.

I suggested this very same thing about two months ago. I didn't get any
I'm not sure you would want to "crash" the system, but the pricipals
(writing memory to swap) would be similar. Somehow a "dump" would have to
be interpreted as a clean vs. crash core.

The reason I would like this functionality is for a multi-os system I use
that I could quickly change OSes yet still have my X seesion up with all
my terminal windows open with command history, browser, etc. I suspect
there are other applications as well.

The only suggestion was to use VMware to run other OSes from BSD, but
that's not quite what I was after.

Chris