5.3-STABLE: handle_workitem_freefile panic

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Mon Jan 24 11:47:34 PST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

PJD> On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 07:24:26PM +0300, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
PJD> +> However: how can the be achieved the following goal: have mirrored swap (to
PJD> +> keep redundancy and HA) and a place to dump panic images to, modulo having
PJD> +> scratch disk and/or scratch unused partition?
PJD>
PJD> When you have dedicated mirror only for swap (e.g. mirror on ad0s1b and
PJD> ad2s1b) you probably should be able to dump into ad[02]s1b (but I didn't
PJD> test it).

Well, dumpon -v /dev/ad4b (which is part of /dev/mirror/m0b with /dev/ad6b)
says it will dump on that, but:

1) it cannot read it on boot:

 Checking for core dump on /dev/ad4b ...
savecore: /dev/ad4b: Operation not permitted
savecore: no dumps found

2) entering ddb via Ctrl+Alt+Esc and issuin 'panic' command hangs the machine
hard.

I'll test dumps on non-gmirrored disks tomorrow.

Sincerely,