Two keyboards

David Scheidt dmschei at attglobal.net
Fri Jan 21 18:30:33 PST 2005

Julian Elischer wrote:

> Bram Van Steenlandt wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> For a pos system I am working on I need support for two keyboards
>> (actually one keyboard(ps/2) and one scanner(usb)).
>

> you can already do this..
> what makes you call the scanner a keyboard?

Proabably, because it acts like one?  I don't know about the USB ones,
but PS/2 scanners generated keysym data, just like a real keyboard.
The idea of the hardware people is "They've already got a keyboard, they
take input from it, so let's make the scanner a keyboard!"  It makes it
easy to use a barcode reader with an application that doesn't know
anything about barcodes, barcode scanners or the like.

David