freebsd problem: Cannot detect Hard Disk (SATA)

yoke an yokean1 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 06:25:05 PST 2005

   >Scott Long writes:
   >| On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, yoke an wrote:
   >| > My motherboard is using an ICH5 southbridge and your suggestion
   is works.
   >| > As you said, my sata disks appear to be normal IDE drives but it
   is not
   >| > running on Raid mode. Currently I'm having 2 HDD, if I do this
   option,
   >| > it cannot syn with another HDD. Any better suggestion?
   >|
   >| This is the best that you can get under FreeBSD 4.x.  If you need
   access
   >| to both IDE channels and SATA at the same time, you'll have to use
   FreeBSD
   >| 5.x.
   >
   >There is:
   > http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/ata/ata_stable_sata_7.patch
   >for 4.10.  That deals with Intel and Promise SATA stuff and
   >ata-raid fixes/enhancements.  It deals with legacy and enhanced modes
   >for Intel SATA.
   >
   >A bunch of people have installed it and are using this.  A bunch of
   >our customers use it via our appliance.
   >
   >Doug A.

   Thanks everyone who shares your idea and experience on this subject.
   I'm feeling appreciation and grateful though this is the first time
   I've posted this topic. Unexpectancy, I've received lots of
   interesting replied.

   To a conclusion, as many of you 5.3 is the best choice. There is no
   support for the ICH5 SATA adapter in FreeBSD v4.8-Release. Release
   4.10 supports ICH5 SATA on some motherboards.
   Release 4.11 is scheduled before the end of this month. The only way
   is to run IDE channel instead if I insist to use 4.8.

   Thanks again everyone. At least I got some hints and clue that what
   I'm planning to do next.

   Find love online with [1]MSN Personals.