freebsd problem: Cannot detect Hard Disk (SATA)

Doug Ambrisko ambrisko at ambrisko.com
Wed Jan 19 20:17:38 PST 2005

Scott Long writes:
| On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, yoke an wrote:
| > My motherboard is using an ICH5 southbridge and your suggestion is works.
| > As you said, my sata disks appear to be normal IDE drives but it is not
| > running on Raid mode. Currently I'm having 2 HDD, if I do this option,
| > it cannot syn with another HDD. Any better suggestion?
|
| This is the best that you can get under FreeBSD 4.x.  If you need access
| to both IDE channels and SATA at the same time, you'll have to use FreeBSD
| 5.x.

There is:
	http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/ata/ata_stable_sata_7.patch
for 4.10.  That deals with Intel and Promise SATA stuff and
ata-raid fixes/enhancements.  It deals with legacy and enhanced modes
for Intel SATA.

A bunch of people have installed it and are using this.  A bunch of
our customers use it via our appliance.

Doug A.