nForce3 NIC on 5.3 (i386)

Jason Henson jason at ec.rr.com
Wed Jan 19 12:52:04 PST 2005

On 01/19/05 02:29:45, Sven Ahtama wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> Anyone here who have managed to get the nForce3 MCP NIC to work with
> FreeBSD 5.3 on i386 platform?
>
> After several hours of retries and kernel configuration i managed to
> get the if_nv.ko successfully loaded. No complaints, no errors, but
> also, no nv0 device found. Just like it didn't exist. I also read
> that one of the common problems in such cases was the agp driver,
> however i'm not even using one. Even more, I tried a kernel run
> entirely without agp support.
>
> I got the if_nv loaded as module and tried compiled-in as well.
>
> I'd really appreciate any pointers, or a conclusive confirmation,
> that there is no success yet.
>
> Regards,
>
> chance.

When you first load the driver you have to reboot or run some scripts
by hand.  After the install did you reboot with no other changes and it
not work?  IIRC, you need linux loaded as well as miibus.  I made a pr
about the nvnet port being out of date and it was updated so the nic
would work in 64bit mode.

So I know atleast it has worked on amd64.