freebsd problem: Cannot detect Hard Disk (SATA)

yoke an yokean1 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 04:49:15 PST 2005

   Hi Xin LI,

   Thanks for your quick update.

   I knew FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE can support SATA without doing any
   configuration. But the problem is my application cannot support
   FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE. They only support FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE. So I need
   to get ICH5 support. Any idea?

   Cheers, Ann

   >From: Xin LI <delphij at frontfree.net>
   >To: yoke an <yokean1 at hotmail.com>
   >CC: freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org
   >Subject: Re: freebsd problem: Cannot detect Hard Disk (SATA)
   >Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:39:03 +0800
   >
   >On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 08:19:39PM +0800, yoke an wrote:
   > >   Hi ,
   > >
   > >   We have recently purchased Tyan Transport GX21 (B2735G21S2) with
   Tiger
   > >   i7501R S2735-8M motherboard. I'm trying to install FreeBSD v4.8
   but it
   > >   cannot detect my hard disk during the installation. I think the
   > >   problem should be the SATA driver. Coz I'm currently using SATA
   > >   instead of IDE/ATAPI.
   > >
   > >   Is FreeBSD v4.8 support SATA or any available free downld driver
   for
   > >   SATA? Can I use "ICH5-R SATA Chip driver " for supporting
   FreeBSD
   > >   v4.8? If yes, where can i downld it?
   > >
   > >   HW spec:
   > >   HDD model: Seagate, ST380013AS.
   > >   Motherboard : Tiger i7501R S2735-8M
   > >
   > >   Hope the above info is sufficient for you.
   >
   >My suggestion is that you use FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE instead of
   4.8-RELEASE,
   >that can provide better support for SATA and don't need the extra
   effort
   >backporting the driver.  FreeBSD can be freely obtained from most
   official
   >FreeBSD mirrors, and you can support the development of FreeBSD,
   through
   >purchasing CD sets from FreeBSD Mall and other vendors listed on
   www.freebsd.org

   >Cheers,
   >--
   >Xin LI <delphij frontfree net> http://www.delphij.net/
   >See complete headers for GPG key and other information.
   >
   ><< attach3 >>

   Find answers fast with [1]MSN Search BETA. New look and improved
   results. Give it a try!