process checkpoint restore facility now in DragonFly BSD

Kamal R. Prasad kamalpr at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 18:58:17 PST 2005

--- Allan Fields <bsd at afields.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 01:40:02PM -0800, Brooks
> Davis wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 02:17:38PM -0700,
> Siddharth Aggarwal wrote:
> > >
> > > I am responding to a post back in Oct 2003 when
> the checkpointing feature
> > > was announced for DragonFly. I have been doing
> some research on this, and
> > > have seen some projects that use Xen VMM to
> achieve checkpoints of guest
> > > OSes.
> > >
> > > So I was looking for inputs from people as to
> what everyone feels about
> > > checkpointing, whether it should be done at the
> physical machine level or
> > > VM level. Pros and Cons of each approach, if any
> further development was
> > > done on DragonFly for checkpoint since then and
> if it was stopped, why?
> > > Are there serious limitations to checkpointing a
> physical machine?
> > >
> > > Sorry for such a vague posting, but I thought
> this would be a good
> > > platform to get some feedback.
> >
> > The DragonFly lists would be the logical place to
> discuss DragonFly
> > features.
> >
> > From my perspective as a scientific computing
> user, VM level
> > checkpointing is it little use since I get the
> overhead of the VM and
> > I can't easily do the application level
> checkpointing required to
> > checkpoing distributed programs.  There are
> probably a number of places
> > where it is useful in scientific computing, but I
> don't find it to be
> > all that intresting.

Process level checkpointing can be useful -but the
techniques so far have not integrated checkpointing
into the UNIX kernel.

> IMHO, it all depends on if process checkpointing is
> made practical
> and reliable enough to be employed for non-trivial
> programs.  I'm
> not entirely convinced if a single system checkpoint
> is the
> ultimate answer though that is certainly highly
> desirable.

It can be made practical if it happens to be
user-directed checkpointing at the process level. The
system would have to assist in recovering checkpointed
programs.

> One potential drawback with full system images is
> the lack of
> support for runtime checkpoints (multiple process
> checkpoints) and
> the lack of a framework for process migration and/or
> persistence
> of a subset of the processes on a system.

Yes. Somehow, attempts to provide that functionality
have involved providing a library rather than kernel
support.

> Persistence is almost non-existent at all levels and
> sessioning
> weak.  A whole solution is needed (integrating the
> two).  The work
> thus far shouldn't be brushed off so easily as a
> multi-tiered approach
> could be of benefit.
>
> Each level of persistence offers it's own pros and
> cons:
> 	- Scope & Granularity of operation (degrees
> flexibility in
> 	  specification, checkpoint set);
> 	- Storage options;
> 	- Interface; - Means of Coordination;
> 	- etc.
>
> For process checkpoint: The means to coordinate
> checkpoints and
> satisfy order of dependency between processes under
> checkpoint is
> a next step in the implementation path.

Is there any implementation of checkpointing
standalone processes at the system level i.e. that the
OS provides the functionality?

> Building on previous email:
>   *     Process Checkpointing Support:
> 	[..]
>         An often overlooked application to
> process-level persistence
>         is fault-tolerance.  It might be possible to
> have a process
>         survive an otherwise fatal system panic
> and/or hardware
> 	failure.  [With-out having to resume from a whole
> system
> 	checkpoint.]
> 	[..]

either that, or the process itself may crash after a
stray input [like a denial of service attack] and it
should be given a chance to skip processing input that
can cause it to crash. [Hope this makes sense].

regards
-kamal