process checkpoint restore facility now in DragonFly BSD

Siddharth Aggarwal saggarwa at cs.utah.edu
Wed Jan 12 13:40:42 PST 2005

Thanks for your reply.

I understand the complexity of checkpointing a process and I do agree that
capturing the complete state of a system is really difficult. So my
question is that if a subset of that functinality was to be implemented
(e.g. not guaranteeing certain things to processes when they restart, and
I believe that you have already implemented this for DragonFly), why is it
more difficult to do it for a physical machine versus in a VMM like Xen?
Or do you have any arguments in the reverse direction i.e.
better/easier/efficient/reliable in a physical machine than a VMM? Or do
you now believe since this feature was implemented over a year ago, that a
VMM is the way to go?