process checkpoint restore facility now in DragonFly BSD

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Jan 12 13:37:17 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 02:17:38PM -0700, Siddharth Aggarwal wrote:

> I am responding to a post back in Oct 2003 when the checkpointing feature
> was announced for DragonFly. I have been doing some research on this, and
> have seen some projects that use Xen VMM to achieve checkpoints of guest
> OSes.
>
> So I was looking for inputs from people as to what everyone feels about
> checkpointing, whether it should be done at the physical machine level or
> VM level. Pros and Cons of each approach, if any further development was
> done on DragonFly for checkpoint since then and if it was stopped, why?
> Are there serious limitations to checkpointing a physical machine?
>
> Sorry for such a vague posting, but I thought this would be a good
> platform to get some feedback.

The DragonFly lists would be the logical place to discuss DragonFly
features.

From my perspective as a scientific computing user, VM level
checkpointing is it little use since I get the overhead of the VM and
I can't easily do the application level checkpointing required to
checkpoing distributed programs.  There are probably a number of places
where it is useful in scientific computing, but I don't find it to be
all that intresting.

-- Brooks