network trunkin

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Sun Jan 9 22:02:43 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 02:48:18AM -0800, Matt wrote:
> Does anyone know if FreeBSD supports trunking?  By that I mean spreading
> network traffic over multiple interfaces to achieve a higher aggregate
> throughtput.  I've used this with Solaris.  Thanks.

Were you thinking of any particular Ethernet trunking standard? I assume
you're referring to Ethernet.

ng_fec(4) is a Netgraph node which suports Fast EtherChannel, which is
a Cisco-ism. It may not be what you want.

The IEEE standard for Ethernet trunking is 802.3ad Link Aggregation
(aka LACP in Cisco-ese). As far as I know we don't currently support
802.3ad.

You might also wish to investigate ng_one2many(4), which is a bit
more simplistic.

Regards,
BMS