Benchmark: NetBSD 2.0 beats FreeBSD 5.3

Xin LI delphij at frontfree.net
Sat Jan 8 10:48:08 PST 2005

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 01:55:27PM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 06:10:06PM +0800, Xin LI wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 09:21:10AM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
> > > I don't really think that this benchmark is bad news for either OS.  My
> > > only real concern are the process creation/termination results on FreeBSD.
> >
> > I guess that this might worth investigating:
> >
> > 	http://people.freebsd.org/~das/pbench/pbench.html
> >
> > (Unfortuantelly, neither tjr@ nor I have touched our patchsets recently.
> > A most recent snapshot of the two patchsets are here:
> >
> > 	http://research.delphij.net/freebsd/pid.diff
> > 	http://research.delphij.net/freebsd/pid-tjr.diff)
> >
> > Most of the work was to catch up with Aug 2004's -CURRENT, but it might
> > be easier to bring them up-to-date instead of working from the very original
> > patches =-)
>
> Looks great.  Any reason why neither has been committed?

I have already updated Tim's patch to match latest -CURRENT:
	http://people.freebsd.org/~delphij/patch-hashpid

I haven't actually checked the patch at this time, though.  But even
if there is something strange happend it should not be so hard to check
the recent commit logs to respective files.

I plan to update the NetBSD allocator as soon as I have an entire chunk
of time, even if it was not chosen as the final version of our PID allocator,
as previously inclined in the discussion, I'd like to keep it as a part of
my private collection ;-)

What we should pay extra attention is that while both patch could lead
to a performance gain in microbenchmarks, there is also chance that they
slow down something else.  Carefully investigate of these issues are
required before we actually commit one of the two.

I don't have much time to deal with this topic in the near future.  So
it's up to Tim or other fellow committers' decision whether to commit one of
the two, with or without change, but it's important that we have done
some actual test before doing that =-)

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.