Benchmark: NetBSD 2.0 beats FreeBSD 5.3

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Fri Jan 7 01:21:13 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 01:10:04AM -0800, Kamal R. Prasad wrote:

> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > the benchmark you cited is for uniprocessor systems
> > only.
> > It says nothing about multiprocessor performance,
> > which is what FreeBSD
> > is aiming for.
> Doesn't the (ULE) scheduler have a switch to ensure
> that performance is optimal on a uniprocessor machine
> too?

I don't know, but if it did that would only affect scheduling, and
only in the ULE case at that.  ULE was broken in 5.3-RELEASE.

I don't really think that this benchmark is bad news for either OS.  My
only real concern are the process creation/termination results on FreeBSD.

Ceri
not sure about the former.			  -- Einstein (attrib.)